When it was time to complete our wedding registry, we had a list of essential items needed like plates, silverware, glasses and pots and pans. There was one item I held near and dear to my heart. I knew it was something that I probably would never purchase for myself, but I would use it weekly and I had been coveting it for years just waiting to be standing at Macy's with the scanner in hand! (of course with my beloved fiance by my side) Yes friends, it's The Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. My lovely bridesmaids purchased this prized possession for me, at the wedding shower in Camp Hill. Many of you know......I Loooove to bake. I could bake everyday if all baked goods were healthy and fat free. When I was growing up, I always said I wanted to be a baker. Marketing.....Baking - guess it worked out ok. But baking fulfills many things for me. By myself and some good tunes, it's calming, relaxing and fulfilling. With my kids it's educational and for our family and friends it's my gift to them.


I also have a hand mixer, which I use for quick jobs like brownies and egg whites, but it passed away this past December during prime baking season and it's been on my list since. So on Thursday, I was making a batch of Barefoot Contessa's chocolate chip cookies for a friend. The mixer was beating the sugar and eggs, while the princess was measuring flour. And my heart stopped as I heard my mixer make a funny grinding noise and come to a halt. I thought surely this must be a power issue. But to my dismay, my mixer had fell ill. I immediately got on-line to find service centers. This was heart breaking. Hubby's reply was "hm". I said "that's it?" "hm". Seriously? The Kitchen Aid mixer was suppose to outlive my husband and I and be handed down generations, and your reply is "hm"? He immediately came to his senses and recognized this was very important to me and we began to discuss our repair options.
But now it's the day before Easter and I need to make the Bunny cake. I've made the bunny cake every year since princess was born. It's a tradition that my Aunt Suzie did each year for us as kids. I couldn't wait to do it for my family. Many of you have partaken in the feast of the bunny cake and I'm sure you can appreciate this dilemma. I will not let this tragedy stop us - we will move on and conquer without a stand mixer or a hand mixer and make this bunny cake! Princess was ready in her bunny ears, which I think are permanently stuck to her head this month since Pappy and Rhonda sent them, and her new matching apron.


My white cake directions call for whipping the butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Ouch - I have no idea how women did this before mixers! Amazing! After about 4 minutes, I remembered a hand gadget that my mom and I once found at Crate and Barrell many years ago....well it seemed to work OK.
It still took about triple the time to make the cake - but we survived and the bunny hops on another year! SUCCESS!
As for the mixer, he'll be sent in to headquarters for repair, I'll keep you posted on the diagnostics.
Happy Easter to all!



4 comments:
I can relate. My Kitchen Aid stand mixer died last year and my Mr. Fix-it couldn't fix it despite many attempts and looking up a ton of information about it on the internet. So, bless his heart, he got me another one. See, he will buy anything at Costco and this is sometimes a huge benefit to me. We gave the old one to my dad who is a retired automotive mechanic. He ordered a part for it but I don't know if he was able to fix it....
That bunny cake looks so cute. I thought about trying one this year, but I was a little afraid of the decorating part. Maybe next year.
Renee
Awwww. So sorry about your kitchen-aid. It does happen. They don't make them like they used to. I can recommend a good brand if you want to change! :-)
Love the cake. So glad you managed to make it work. you are persistent, friend, i give you that.
and georgia is just precious.
Poor Kitchen Aid - though we only knew ye for a few years we shall miss ye... unless of course ye can be fixed or replaced ;).
Love that Barefoot Contessa - I'd be more than happy to relieve you of the burden of eating those cookies anytime ;).
Not the Kitchen Aid!! I love mine too! Good for you for hand whipping that cute cake. The picture of that old real hand crank mixer made me laugh, lol. Very cute.
Post a Comment