Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dirty Socks

I remember it was about a year ago when I was folding laundry and I came across one of Jimmo's socks. It was cute and small, as you would imagine most 2 year old boy socks, but it was missing something. When the radiologist told us it was a boy, I began to prepare myself. Instead of doll houses and tea parties, this would mean cars and trucks. I could envision holes in the knees of the jeans and socks that would never be white and have holes in the toes.

As I was sitting there folding laundry I noticed my 2 year old boys socks were still very stark white, not worn and definitely no holes in the toes. This was a hard time for husband and I as we anxiously waited for Jimmo to walk, to take that first step that we have been waiting for so long. Well as you all remember, he did finally walk at the end of that March. The other night he climbed up on the couch with me and I looked down and teared up. I'm happy to report - that his socks are no longer stark white, but indeed we have DIRTY SOCKS - Praise the Lord!

This brings me to our next blog. As the New Year is upon us (well kind of), we wanted to embrace and gloat on our guys achievements. Over the past 2-3 weeks, we've seen some great things happening with Jimmo. Since he's just over three, generally that puts a Fragile X child at the cognitive level of an 18 month old. A good rule of thumb for Fragile X boys is that generally he'll develop at the cognitive level of 1/2 his age. Where this plateau's - we'll see what God has in store for us. But with that said, we're excited about signs of development the past few weeks and the advancements he made. Between a crazy Christmas with lots of company and the sickies, he still managed to pull ahead. So here is a short list of our accomplishments! As princess says - Woo Hoo!


  • If Jimmo wants to watch Pooh, he sits on the couch and patiently waits. Eventually this patience turns into yelling, but he definitely tries first to be patient.

  • He's carrying toys around with him and even figuring out how to get them to different levels of the house. Like throwing a truck down the stairs before he comes down on his bottom. This is one of our favorites - ha!

  • He's sleeping SOOOOO much better! He's gradually letting go of his afternoon nap and now getting up anywhere from 6:30-7:30AM. This is huge for everyone! Half of us are convinced that this is because of the gluten diet, the other half - jury is still out.

  • He's greeting Daddy at the door each night. We have a silly routine that he just loves. If you're lucky you'll get that on video some day. But he laughs hysterically and then bends his head in for a kiss.

  • But speaking of kisses, we can get them on demand now, as long as he's in the mood. Now we're working on keeping the tongue in the mouth ;0)

  • Since late October, his social skills have greatly improved. He now notices his surroundings so much better, studies faces and clearly notices when new people enter and leave the room.

  • He has a good handful of receptive commands. Give Momma a Kiss, Go to School, Go to the car, Go outside, Take a bath, Brush your teeth, Give it to Momma, Sit down, Want some juice, want a snack.

  • At school, he now takes his picture from the entrance of the room and brings it to his cubby(locker).

  • This past week at school he voluntarily went to "centers" of his choice and sits and waits for Miss Terrific Teacher and her aides to come join him. They even tested what he would do if they didn't come and he got up and pulled their hand to the center.
  • His teeth brushing routine has improved greatly. We started this in June and it took about 4 months to get it down and then another 2 months to hand over the toothbrush without crying. He loves his toothbrush. Watch the video below.

  • And last but not least - the most exciting news. We have our FIRST WORD friends! Drumroll..........Juice. It sounds more like "uice" but we're officially calling it our first word. There are a few other words that are still under negotiation if we can "officially" call them words - stay tuned. The average child with Fragile X has a few words between 3 and 5, so we're thrilled to have one at 3 and plan to work hard these next few years!
Amazing stuff - we're very excited to see what's in store for us this year.

Watch our goofy teeth brushing routine below. You might want to lie on your side when you watch this one (wink wink). My camera man is underpaid.

6 comments:

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

That is one sweet toothbrush. And a very cute song. Way to go Jimmo!

Rachel said...

very exciting news friend! Rejoicing with you in each and every milestone, because we know how Great our God is! Love you!

Renee said...

WTG Jimmo! Wonderful milestones!

My kids have also enjoyed chewing on and biting their toothbrushes. I don't know if Lydia cooperates as much as your little guy.

a tribe called PINK said...

What great news... we are rejoicing with you! Oh, and no fair... making a preggo lady cry. That first little story about the socks is absolutely precious. I love it!

Maribeth said...

I am sitting here tears in my eyes. God is oh so good! Thank you for sharing these milestones! I am so proud of how you all are embracing this journey! Keep sharing... Keep trusting and clinging to God's hand!

BTW.... you know that I LOVE having "Princess" on Sunday mornings! Waaaay too fun! We just love her!

Love you! Maribeth

Jen said...

Hi! I made my way here via the web ring. I typed in Fragile X in the search and quickly found this video. I try singing that song to Evan, our 3 year old with FX, and it doesn't work for us! :) Evan loves to watch videos of other kids so I thought that maybe having him watch Jimmo so nicely brushing his teeth would "inspire" him...lol...he wouldn't watch it.
Our 3 boys, 17, 15, and 3 all have a full mutation. Our daughter, 19, also has the full mutation, but isn't affected.