Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Competitive Egg Rolls

Each year we participate in our communities annual egg roll. It literally is over within 20 seconds but for some reason we go back each year. Princess lined up in the category of 4-6 year old. Husband and her discussed strategy the whole way over and rehearsed again while standing on the starting line.

Waiting patiently for the start

It's so competitive that you would think a gunshot would kick off the race but instead a woman just yells "go". And about 50 kids go running into a small field to hopefully retrieve at least one egg.
Here we are about to pass the little boy we stood in line with - go Princess go!

Husbands strategy worked as she collected about 5 eggs with random melted candies that have peanuts in them. Oh the joys! But she did better then last year and felt good about a successful egg hunt. My heart always weeps for the little one's who didn't hear the word "go" or got a little shy and decided to wait till the big kids started running. Tears and egg rolls don't mix. Little man enjoyed running around in a large open field. He was testing us to see how far he could get. Afterwards we sat down to look at our eggs and Jimmo enjoyed his bucket.
No eggs, no problem!

But speaking of eggs, he might not have gotten any at the Easter Egg Roll, but he certainly got one last night - a goose egg that is! Happy Easter - just in time for pictures!

I had literally just gotten off the phone with Aunt B and I heard a thump. It wasn't an alarming sound of a thump. More the kind that you freeze and listen to see if there is going to be a cry or not. There was definitely a cry, a very sad cry. In the hall sat little man and it appeared that he walked right into the door. Door meet Jimmo, Jimmo meet door. I had heard about these goose eggs before but have never seen one in action. Within seconds I watched it grow on his forehead. I was panicked it wasn't going to stop growing but it finally did. Attempting ice on his head was like catching a slimy frog in a pond, but I did my best. One day down of spring break and we already have a battle wound - yikes!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH my that is a goose egg!

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Arnica gel, friend. Get it at WF or a health food store. Smear that on and you'll avoid bruising and swelling. Works like a charm.

Renee said...

Wow, that is some goose egg!

The Farmer Files said...

Well it is good to see he is smiling today inspite of his goose egg!!!

Our Plain Life said...

Impressive! Goose eggs are good! Swelling on the outside, not the inside!

Anonymous said...

Buffy,
I just read your comment on my blog because I have been without a computer for over a month. Sure, go ahead and forward our blog to your friend! I hope you are doing well. It was great seeing/talking with you at Adeline's sprinkle.
Patty

Debbie said...

Ouch! They are scary looking. Trevor got his first one last week too. Fell into the coffee table - well more like launched into the table.