Monday, September 1, 2008

Closing Ceremonies

If you're a summer bug like me, this is one of the saddest times of the year. For me I would rather put away Christmas decorations then say goodbye to the pool and suntan oil..oops I mean block! ;0) We actually had a stay at home weekend, which has been very rare this summer. We started Friday night with a walk to Dairy Queen, which princess use to call Fairy Queen and I still sometimes make her say it! Yum! And I packed some GFCF cookies for Jimmo which he enjoyed very much. Luckily he never really liked ice cream because of the coldness so I don't have to feel guilty for indulging! On Saturday we started out with French Toast. Then we watched the most highly anticipated game of all summer - Syracuse vs. Northwestern - first football game of the season. Well that didn't work out too good. And then we did a little grill shopping that evening.

But the big closing ceremony was on Sunday. We took the kids to a nice size water park for kids from ages of 1 to 10 or so. It's about 25 minutes away. We went with our cousins last year and had a blast. We loved it even more this time! There have only been a handful of occasions that we can tell Jimmo is having a GREAT time! This definitely was one of them. He let out more eeeeeeeh's (which in Jimmy language this means - WOW mom and dad - I love this place) then we ever heard. He had a grin from ear to ear the entire time. On the lazy river he was the captain on our boat and I think we went around about 6 times the first time we rode it! They have all kinds of slides for all ages. Princess got a little daring towards the end and rode on Little Pete, but Big Pete still awaits us for next year. We packed a fun picnic lunch and then ate dippen dots on the way home.
And then on Labor Day - we truly "labored" around the house. Hubby put the "almost" final touches on the 1/2 bath and did some yard work. And I, well I learned a valuable lesson. Never ever procrastinate on school supplies and go the day before school starts to Target, Wal-Mart and Staples. Rookie move - I'll get better. But in the end, it's 10:15 and we're ready to go.

Last week visiting Jimmo's school, my emotions continued to be full of excitement. It was a beautiful large, bright room within the preschool. His teachers and aids were amazing. He walked right in and began to play. And not to mention that this is what is best for my Fragile X little man - the constant routine, therapies throughout his day and the ABA program. There are only 3 little guys in his class and one teacher and 2 aides. Could it be any better? Although our doctor and clinic has told us this is the best for him, although we've prayed about this over and over again when making the decision and continue to pray about this.....tomorrow always felt like it was so far away. Tonight my heart is heavy that my little man has to go to school. He's going to school before his big sister - who would have ever thought. I pray tonight that this truly is the best for our boy and he will grow and prosper more then we ever imagined.

7 comments:

ARK said...

Love the pics! I will pray hard for you all tomorrow, he is going to love school and they are going to love him! Just give yourself some time to adjust to this transition and by the end of September he is going to be riding home on the bus! (with you following in the car) ha

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

He looks SO HAPPY. What a fun weekend (minus the school supply shopping).

Praying for all of you tomorrow. Hugs, friend.

The Farmer Files said...

Awww I'll pray for the first day, for Jimmo, and for his mommy. Take lots of pictures! We all want to see!

Renee said...

Which water park did you go to? He looks like he is having a great time.

I hope you were able to sleep last night. I am praying for all you today.

Bringing Up Boys said...

Is that Signal Bay Water Park out in Manassas - the frog slide looks suspiciously familiar ;).

I'm totally with you on the school supplies - thankfully the Giant was well stocked with Elmer's glue, glue sticks, zip lock bags and pink erasers! I'll be praying for you this week my friend! Know that I'm right there with you as far as the whole emotion thing goes.

Mama in Training said...

Oh, that school shopping comment cracked me up! I will try to do it tomorrow.
How exciting for Jimmo. He's SOOO cute!

The Dancy Family said...

It looks as good as the beach to me! What a wonderful day of family fun! Boo hoo that summer is officially over!