Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School

I guess Little Man had as much anxiety as his mamma on this day because he decided to get up at 5:40. Oh lovely...poor Mrs. Teacher. He was in a great mood all morning. He ate a huge breakfast and we had fun getting him dressed for his first day. When we were about to leave he got a little cranky so Daddy took him out back for a quick swing. That seemed to do the trick - always does. When we arrived at the school, Mrs. Teacher was there to greet us with a big smile. Jimmo charged right into the room looking for the ball popper that he fell in love with during the open house. At this point I let out a sigh of relief, ahhh, he's going to be fine. We watched for a little bit and gave him kisses and headed out. Another rookie move - forgot his lunch at home but luckily we don't live too far. I laughed when the school secretary showed me 3 other lunch boxes brought in late.


So off princess and I went on our first morning. We thought the only way to conquer our sadness of not having little man with us was to have some pancakes at the golden arches. I have to admit, it worked a little bit. Mrs. Teacher called and gave us a mid-morning update. He apparently had a rough 10 minute patch but a rice cake made it all better. We visited a health food store seeking GFCF flours and various diet items. Then princess had gymnastics. She was the only one in her class so she got lots of attention and I got to sneak a few pictures.

I think it was the longest morning of my life. The time went soooo slow. Princess and I came home and ate lunch and then eagerly sat out front of little man's school 15 minutes before the pick up time. He came running down the hall, glanced at me and then ran past me. OK so at least I got a glance and most important - he seemed very happy. Mrs. Teacher was amazed that someone could fall asleep sitting up and eat his lunch at the same time. That's classic sleep deprived Jimmo for you! His daily report came back great. He ate all his lunch like a big boy and it sounds like he actually had some fun. I think they'll work on shapes tomorrow - ;0) Just kidding.

Today is the first day of "school" for princess. We're doing Classical Conversations together. The format has the parents participate with the children and it meets once a week covering all major subjects in classical model. I felt it was a great fit for our family. Last year she was dragged to therapy after therapy appointment and could have used more 4 year old time. So this year I'm dedicating to spending time with her before she starts kindergarten. Although Classical Conversations is a home schooling class, they have welcomed us to join them for this year.


Thanks for all of your amazing prayers for our family. We will continue to pray for all of you with little one's also starting school - whether it's preschool, kindergarten, 1st grade or 8th grade - BIG STUFF.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

soooo exciting! I am delighted the first day went so well. And how wonderful to have some special time with #1. I think she'll love it and remember it in a very special way. Keep the updates coming

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

So glad you all did okay. Mornings will start to go quickly, I'm sure. :-)

Mama in Training said...

Oh, that is just so precious. What a BIG BOY! We have orientation tomorrow and I feel like crying. I want to hear more about little G's schooling.

Anonymous said...

Look at Princess's extension on the un-even bars!! She is going to be the next Shawn Johnson! And Jimmo is going to do so well at his school...just next time remember his lunch..:) Love you sis, it will get easier.

Anonymous said...

Hey Buff, I was thinking about you on Wednesday & checked your blog...so glad to hear things are starting off on a busy, but positive note. Can't wait to properly catch up next month xx Jody

Our Plain Life said...

so funny about forgetting his lunch. I am sure you will get into a rhythm and by May it will be second nature!! Enjoy the special times with G! I agree with Auntie D and G's form on the bars. Such straight legs! Olympics 2020?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Jimmo has a bunch of cheerleaders
on out end!!!
You go little buddy..

Love the Ulmers