Thursday, September 11, 2008

Week 2 of School

Half way thru week 2 of school and Jimmo is going strong. As for Momma...still depends on the day. Mrs. Teacher and the aides have been wonderful. We had our first "Back to School" night this week, which was a great opportunity to chat with Mrs. Teacher and get to know her and how Little Man did his first week. He continues to be excited each morning when I get him out of the car and I have to tackle him to get my goodbye kiss in. The GFCF diet is going well. I definitely think his excema was tied to a dairy allergy. I have found the diet to be sometimes challenging for family dinners. Between the countless number of blogs out there and the library, we're slowly adjusting. It's a much healthier lifestyle so it's good for everyone. The juicing is going well. I've been trying to talk hubby into the Vita-Mix (thanks RF!). This "machine" is amazing and I think it might actually grind up a chouch if I tried. Princess has been testing out some of my concoctions and liking.....some.

When working on communication with Jimmo, we've collectively decided to follow the PECS program. We implemented it this past early spring and it's been going well for him. Essentially we've taken a picture of every toy in our house and one of all the food that he eats and we ask him to choose between 2 or 3 each time he wants something. For example, we have a picture of his toothbrush in the bathroom and he hands me the picture after he sits in his chair to let me know he's ready to brush his teeth. Or at breakfast, I show him a picture of a sliced banana and a picture of his cereal and he takes the picture from me that he wants to eat and hands it to me. Around mid-summer we worked on putting these pictures on felt boards with velcro and having him take them off the board and hand them to us. It's been a struggle over the summer with the boards and he usually pushes them away. He would rather take them from your hand. Today Mrs. Teacher was doing Discrimination trials with him and she devised a way (putting it on a slant) to use the board with success. Below is a video that Mrs. Teacher gave me this afternoon (isn't she the best) that shows him discriminating between a picture of the toy that he wants and a blank card - AND MOST IMPORTANT doing these trials ON the board. And Mrs. Teacher mentioned she started taping after doing it like 20 times and he was still successful.

Great job Little Man and thanks Mrs. Teacher for letting us share our achievements with our family and friends.

10 comments:

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

The vitamix is amazing. Can't go wrong with that.

He's just adorable. Glad it's going well.

Mama in Training said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Plain Life said...

Such a great little video! I love how towards the end he tries to hide it from her so she won't take it away. :) Keep the updates coming!!

Renee said...

Wow, I don't know who impresses me more: you b/c of all your hard work with him and your tireless dedication, Jimmo for learning to use PECS, or his teacher for actually taking and giving you the video.

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing tool for Mrs Teacher to incorporate throughtout the day so the parents can feel a part of the exercises!! Jimmo is doing so well - At the end, it's like he is telling Mrs. Teacher "C'mon, give me something challenging" He learning so well and I couldn't be more proud! Great job on giving him the early steps Mom and Dad!

The Farmer Files said...

What a precious video! How rewarding to know Little J is excited to go to his class! Mrs. Teacher is the best to make you a video! What a blessing!

Just for you I am going to post something about how we made ice cream in our vitamix. We used frozen fruit, ice, and maybe milk. Big S made it, so I will have to ask. Anyway, you could probably use rice milk or whatever substitute you use for milk. The post will come soon but not really soon. I am way behind on blogging.
I am super picky about ice cream, and this was SO good. I am such a believer about this whole blade and motor thing.

ARK said...

Love the video and teacher!You have a good one! So excited he's using PECS. I have a slant board I made with tempo loop if you want it just let me know. I can dig it out of the storage room!

Bringing Up Boys said...

What an amazing accomplishment and great way for him to communicate what he wants! It is so good to offer them choices at this age, even small ones like what they want to eat, play with or wear!

Anonymous said...

How much I admire you girl. such courage. You inspire me!

The Dancy Family said...

Yeah Little Man! What a great video. Thanks for sharing...keep 'em coming! You can also use a big 3 ring binder for your slant board & just put velcro on the outside & keep all your pics on the inside of the notebook. Makes is easy for transporting & keeping track of all those pics you've taken!