Tuesday, September 8, 2009

O.K. Guest appearance from Hubby. I don't have my own blog to rant on, so I thought I would share my experience from the first day of kindergarten.

I call Princess around 3:30 to ask how her day was and here is how the conversation went:

Me: How was your first day princess?

G: Pretty good

Me: Tell me about your day, were you a good girl all day?

G: Well, I was pretty good but I had one problem

Me: Oh really? What happened pumpkin?

G: Well they made us watch this show and there was a bad word in the show, so I cried because I wanted to go home and see mama

Me: Whoa, whoa, slow down. What show did you watch? You watched TV at school today!

G: It was a show about the President

Me (realizing she watched President Obama's speech to school children) And he said a bad word? What did he say?

G: Um...you sure, can I say it?

Me: Yes sweety, go ahead, you can tell daddy

G: (In a whisper so as not to get in trouble she says) Stupid, he said stupid daddy

Well, most everyone knows my background in politics, so I am naturally already skeptical about our President. However, when all the controversy broke surrounding his speech, I thought, this is silly, he is the President and he just wants to tell kids to study hard and never give up. I figured it was a nice idea and thought those being critical were being way too partisan.

Now I am wondering why they showed his speech to a kindergarten class and why he had to use bad words! Everyone has a first day of school story that stays with them forever and mine has to be about the President of the United States using the word "stupid" in a speech to my daughters kindergarten class. I have a few new ideas for a better use of the word stupid:

* Running up $9 trillion in debt that my kids will have to pay back is stupid
* Having the same people who brought us the postal service and the department of motor vehicles take over our health care system is stupid
* Taking God out of the public schools and treating it like a crime to mention the name Jesus Christ in schools is stupid
* Using the word stupid in a speech that 5 year olds will see is VERY STUPID

What I don't understand is why the President had to teach that word to my daughter's kindergarten class!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

pretty good "guest" post, "Hubby". So sad for G...I hope tomorrow is better. (sniff, sniff)

hugs to you and lovely wife,
rachel

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Ridiculous.

But welcome, "Guest!"

Our Plain Life said...

ooo...that makes me mad!! And you thought you had the other kids to worry about. Great post!! I think you should submit that to the Post or something!!!

Shelley said...

Well said! I agree with the post above...submit it to a newspaper!